My New and Personal Struggle

Cowboy_Joe

Hi, everyone. I know I have not been very active recently on the boards, but I have had a lot going on. I will give you the highlight (or lowlight) of what has just come to a head.

I have been visiting a cancer doctor to keep an eye on a few markers that could lead to a cancer diagnosis for a couple years now. I had my regular appointment this week on Wednesday. Today at work, I received a follow-up call from him with my lab results. Normally, he just mails me the results, so I knew something was wrong. My labs showed that I can now be diagnosed with a form of cancer called Multiple Myeloma. It isn't one of the common types that most have heard of. It is a cancer of the blood plasma, or more specifically the marrow cells responsible for producing blood plasma. He will enter the staging phase with me by doing a few more procedures in the coming weeks to figure out how advanced or aggressive it is. Now for the good news. There is no cure for this cancer. There is a treatment that can extend life expectancy, but that is it. The stage of the cancer will determine my expected life span. The treatment could extend it by some years (5-10 on average,) but is very taxing. It involves harvesting my stem cells, killing all my bone marrow, and replacing my stem cells to stimulate marrow growth.

You can tell I've done some research and thought I had prepared myself for this day, but it stills comes as a gut punch. I feel incredibly numb today. Acting like nothing is wrong with customers at the store today is going to take all my theater skills. I just wanted to let you all know, since the ranches have provided some of my happiest moments and best friends.

Cowboy_Joe

Cowboy_joe that is really sad. I have had multiple family members with cancer. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.
Thanks, Lisa. I appreciate that. I have had many family members with cancer as well. Each fought and most won. I seem to be the unlucky one in the family to get the one cancer with no hope for a cure, just a long, painful fight for each day.

BrooklynMoore

TAKING NO MORE APPOINTMENTS! RETIRING THURSDAY!
@Cowboy_Joe I am sorry hearing about your health. I will keep you in my prayers and thoughts. You can fight through this battle. The good Lord is right by your side. Cancer runs in my family, and I know at least 3 family members that is currently fighting for their life. It's very sad to me cause I know how it feels when you go through this type of health problems. It's tough, but you got stay strong.

Holly

Appt. Only--> 2+Week Notice Required
Thank you for sharing. I am sorry to hear about your struggles and will keep you in my thoughts & prayers!
Hi, everyone. I know I have not been very active recently on the boards, but I have had a lot going on. I will give you the highlight (or lowlight) of what has just come to a head.

I have been visiting a cancer doctor to keep an eye on a few markers that could lead to a cancer diagnosis for a couple years now. I had my regular appointment this week on Wednesday. Today at work, I received a follow-up call from him with my lab results. Normally, he just mails me the results, so I knew something was wrong. My labs showed that I can now be diagnosed with a form of cancer called Multiple Myeloma. It isn't one of the common types that most have heard of. It is a cancer of the blood plasma, or more specifically the marrow cells responsible for producing blood plasma. He will enter the staging phase with me by doing a few more procedures in the coming weeks to figure out how advanced or aggressive it is. Now for the good news. There is no cure for this cancer. There is a treatment that can extend life expectancy, but that is it. The stage of the cancer will determine my expected life span. The treatment could extend it by some years (5-10 on average,) but is very taxing. It involves harvesting my stem cells, killing all my bone marrow, and replacing my stem cells to stimulate marrow growth.

You can tell I've done some research and thought I had prepared myself for this day, but it stills comes as a gut punch. I feel incredibly numb today. Acting like nothing is wrong with customers at the store today is going to take all my theater skills. I just wanted to let you all know, since the ranches have provided some of my happiest moments and best friends.
Sent from my LGL158VL using Tapatalk